“Data migration is the process of selecting, preparing, extracting, and transforming data and permanently transferring it from one computer storage system to another”
Most migrations take place through five major stages:
- Extraction: remove data from the current system to begin working on it.
- Transformation: match data to its new forms, ensure that metadata reflects the data in each field.
- Cleansing: deduplicate, run tests, and address any corrupted data.
- Validation: test and retest that moving the data to the target location provides the expected response.
- Loading: transfer data into the new system and review for errors again.”