1. If a child record (like a Contact or Opportunity) is deleted and the parent record is subsequently deleted (Like the Account), the child record is permanently deleted. Even if the parent record is undeleted, the child record cannot be recovered, but if the child record is undeleted first this won’t happen.
2. When a parent account is deleted, all the links to the child accounts are removed and also deleted. If that account is subsequently restored from the recycle bin, the previous children accounts and their relationship to the parent record are restored.
3. Record data has 3 stages of deletion:
- Stage 1 – Deleted and sent to Recycle Bin or soft deleted – Data in this stage can still be recovered from the recycle bin or via the API via an undelete() call.
- Stage 2 – Emptied from the Recycle Bin or hard deleted – Data in this stage cannot be recovered from the recycle bin or undeleted but can be exported from the API using Export All via Data Loader or queryAll() using alternative API client tools. Records can skip the recycle bin and be put in this state directly by using the ‘Hard Delete’ option in the Data Loader.
- Stage 3 – Physically/Permanently deleted – Data in this stage has been wiped from database and only recoverable by contacting Salesforce to request a Data Recovery Service.